• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Storm Chasing Video Game

A chase game is actually closer to reality than we think. Well... the idea for it at least. The technology is out there... we would just need some hard core programmers.

As I see it... there are several components to the game engine.

#1 the Landscape/Terrain Engine (3d). With technology out now, we would probably be best off using some sort of flight simulator engine such as Microsoft Flight Sim 2004. A generic terrain file for the Plains could be made including towns etc.

#2 The convection engine. There are many smaller scale storm models that have been used to model supercells... any of these will suffice.

#3 The Initiation engine. Many of the storm scale models simply start with a warm bubble. The initation engine would use randomness/environmental variables to figure out where bubbles would be introduced into the model. Several scenarios could be imput into the model.... warm front days... dryline days... etc. Using randomness... no 2 setups should be alike. In addition, I would think some days could result in squalllines/multicells while others would be more descrete.

#4 (and probably the haderst part) Is drawing the storms. Many of the models output a reflectivity output. Using this and lots of (if this is going on do this) it would be possible. For example.. set a storm base height based off the environmental variables. If vorticity exceeds XXX number at lowest grid of model... create wall cloud. If vorticity gets even higher near the surface... drop a tube. If reflectivity is greater than 50dbz then the occurance of hail is a higher probability etc...

And here is the coolest thing. Stick a good UI and driving sim on top of all of this. Setup gas stations etc.... you can do all the financial stuff like Shane suggested...... You could even mimic internet data connections!!! and since we are already running a model in the background... you could "connect" to get the latest reflectivity output from the model quite easily. Awesome!!!

Aaron

You could even mimic internet data connections!!! and since we are already running a model in the background... you could "connect" to get the latest reflectivity output from the model quite easily. Awesome!!!
Aaron

That would be great idea. This game idea is very interesting, if a game such as this were to ever be introduced, I would most likely buy it...

Also, I believe MS Flight Simulator has some sort of "weather engine". It can take data from internet sources (METAR) and create live weather conditions based upon the reports - Which is one of the reasons I bought the game...

Yeah, with Flight Simulator — at least in the 2002 edition — you can chase microbursts by setting the weather to thunderstorm (complete with CGs) with high wind shear; you can re-enact historical microburst disasters by changing the date and airport to the relevant. WOW!

Although this would definately be a niche market project, that hasn't stopped several top-notch 'niche' games from being developed. There's a deer hunter game. There are a couple railroad sim games out there that rock, one being Microsoft's Train Simulator. MS TrainSim was a little on the expensive side but worth it if you're in to that kind of thing.

My problem now is that I never have time to play video games anymore.

Not to be pessimistic about this idea, but I don't want to see a storm chasing video game. For anyone who enjoys meteorology, any inaccuracy will just piss you off and make you throw your controller at the TV. For anyone who doesn't know anything about meteorology and plays a chasing game, they will likely want to go chase the next time a storm is near. Therefore, more "yahoo" chasers will be on the road, and more people will complain about and even greater amount a chaser convergence and rude locals on the road.

Not to be pessimistic about this idea, but I don't want to see a storm chasing video game. For anyone who enjoys meteorology, any inaccuracy will just piss you off and make you throw your controller at the TV. For anyone who doesn't know anything about meteorology and plays a chasing game, they will likely want to go chase the next time a storm is near. Therefore, more "yahoo" chasers will be on the road, and more people will complain about and even greater amount a chaser convergence and rude locals on the road.

If such a game came out more people would be interested in storm chasing and for all the people that hate "yahoo chasers" ....you were probably one at one time in your life unless you just started chasing one day and you knew everything :roll:

Plus we'll get respect for being chasers instead of a bunch of losers that chase clouds lol

I had similar thoughts about it producing more uninformed locals, thereby putting themselves and others at greater risk.

However, if the game was to be meteorologically accurate, it could end up being a good educational and training tool.

Of course, it's always possible that someone would play the game, then go out chasing with no more respect for "real thing" than they had for the game. And that could be almost as dangerous as being ignorant.

If such a game came out more people would be interested in storm chasing and for all the people that hate "yahoo chasers" ....you were probably one at one time in your life unless you just started chasing one day and you knew everything :roll:

Plus we'll get respect for being chasers instead of a bunch of losers that chase clouds lol

Actually, I didn't start out as a yahoo chaser...and I do dislike them to a huge degree. I started chasing from my porches at home. And then when I started to chase in a vehicle, I kept my distance until I learned. Also there is a big difference in being interested in chasing and weather, or being a jackass near a storm.

I also agree with Brian in the fact that if we simulate it, first timers might have zero respect for the real thing. I kinda fades into the argument "I've seen Twister so I know what I am doing."

What's hilarious about this thread is that it took place when I was 14, the year before I decided to share my little TI-Basic calculator game online. And what revived this idea in my mind was the fact that a storm chasing PC game recently came out:
It's actually pretty fun when you don't think too hard into it. But why watch movies or play video games at all if you're looking for such in depth realism? Just have fun and play, it's a game! And there's another game coming out called Outbrk. I half jokingly say I created the genre, I guess this thread arguably invented it 😂
You folks can't possibly be serious about all this. :roll:
Oh the irony of this statement as read at this moment lol

I’ll have to check it out, virtual chasing may be the only chasing I get to do this year, depending upon how the coronavirus pandemic evolves...

There was some other more recent thread about another storm chasing game that was much more realistic; not sure where that development effort stands, I haven’t seen anything in the last year or so.

I had a few dreams about a Storm Chasing video game, probably in between a period of about 8 to 12 years ago. One was so vivid, realistic and memorable that I can still picture it right now and a lot of the features of the game and can see still frames from it.

Back