PDA

View Full Version : The TIV

Craig McPeck
06-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Ok, i was having a hard time on where to post this, i figured this was it.

About the best thing we saw all day was the TIV vehicle, as well as some Vortex2 Vehicles;

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4748/151/0/505869476/n505869476_1754507_5700106.jpg

More http://picasaweb.google.com/CraigOmahaWX/June6thChase?authkey=Gv1sRgCJaJ5NvMt9L8bw#

Olivier Staiger
06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
hey i was there too in Adair Iowa, and took a pic of SEAN CASEY with the TIV. ....

http://www.kyte.tv/ch/9038-klipsi/465156-mobile-show-1044

By the way, did you notice.... Sean Casey parked the TIV right in front of Casey's general store ! coincidence? or smart marketing ? ... ;-)

Craig McPeck
06-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah, how easy was that? I walked out of Caseys and here comes the TIV rolling in and parked right in front me . hahaha

Joshua Nall
06-06-2009, 11:18 PM
What are the red cylinders on the side? Appear to be some sort of Hydraulic spears...stab in the ground to keep it from sliding maybe? Thanks for sharing the pics, this thing is crazy. I saw it on the series last year, but I don't remember the red cylinders.

Scott Hammel
06-06-2009, 11:23 PM
What are the red cylinders on the side? Appear to be some sort of Hydraulic spears...stab in the ground to keep it from sliding maybe? Thanks for sharing the pics, this thing is crazy. I saw it on the series last year, but I don't remember the red cylinders.

I think those are the hydraulics that put the flaps down...

Craig McPeck
06-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, those were the spears that they stake in the ground. They told me the tornado in wyoming went right over their vehicle yesterday, they staked down and felt the rumble and awesomeness

Joshua Nall
06-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Let's see... if I bought a sheet of quarter inch thick steel every pay check... no, every other pay check, then started cutting and welding........... ok maybe not...haha, probably blow out my tires from the weight... or I would be like a train, real slow to get going, hard to stop. Guess I'll just stick to my wish list of having some sort of slide screen on the roof to protect the windshield from hail.

Rob Wadsworth
06-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Yes, those were the spears that they stake in the ground. They told me the tornado in wyoming went right over their vehicle yesterday, they staked down and felt the rumble and awesomeness

What?!?...They took a direct hit?
I'd like to read the detals - anyone know where that can be found?
BTW-Are they going to have a series this year on the 'Discovery Channel'?
Probably a mini-series...

G. Carr
06-07-2009, 12:00 AM
What?!?...They took a direct hit?
I'd like to read the detals - anyone know where that can be found?
BTW-Are they going to have a series this year on the 'Discovery Channel'?
Probably a mini-series...

Yup, they intercepted the Wyoming Tornado on Friday! You probably won't find any details until you watch strom chasers this fall! I asked them about it and they were pretty mum about it. We did hear a few details while Josh and Sean were talking and were being filmed for Storm Chasers 3. They stayed in Kearney Nebraska last night and we went to the motel this morning and got a bunch of pics and watched them do some filming for Storm Chasers. Man, did some of the vehicles in the caravan get POUNDED!!!!! I seen alot of damage, the TIV2's instruments were all beat up too. I will upload all the pics I took and post some in a new thread!

cstrunk
06-07-2009, 11:36 AM
It is good to hear that the TIV and the V2 project seem to be making the most of the (for the most part) down season. I recognized the Casey's in the picture!

Mike Deep
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
The Timmermobile also intercepted the same tornado Friday. All things considered, I think we're going to have two dozen angles on this storm. :D

Ronan P. Nagle
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Speaking of angles, I was hoping someone on here could help me identify this car. Seconds before we intercepted, the person in this car stopped on our east side and shot as the tornado was barreling down on us. If anyone has any leads, please send me a PM.

Thanks!!!
www.byronfever.com/car1.png

Ryan McGinnis
06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
http://www.byronfever.com/car1.png

"Hey, look, a tornado tank! Hey, I know, let me drive in front of it and get a closer look! Hey, is that a tor-AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Hope they didn't kill your shot.

SMOK
06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
This thread is thoroughly hijacked at this point so I will further the cause by mentioning that the Timmer intercept last Friday is very cool. I just watched it a few minutes ago with my jaw in "dropped" position:
http://www.tornadovideos.net/

Bill Tabor
06-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Good for Reed! LOL! That's great!

Bill Hark
06-27-2009, 12:31 AM
There have been some nice tornadic and photogenic storms in mid June especially on June 17, Is the TIV still out there? Did they intercept the June 17th or any of the other recent tornadoes on the High Plains?

Bill Hark

Chris Allington
06-27-2009, 01:49 AM
There have been some nice tornadic and photogenic storms in mid June especially on June 17, Is the TIV still out there? Did they intercept the June 17th or any of the other recent tornadoes on the High Plains?

Bill Hark

I know we ran into them on the KS/NE border storm early in the day on the 17th. But I don't know if they headed west for the later show afterwards.

Sam Stone
06-27-2009, 02:22 AM

Bill Hark

Looking at www.tornadovideos.net, the Timmermobile intercepted the Aurora storm on the 17th with some pretty cool footage. They also appear to be doing some interesting (and successful) stuff with R/C planes dropping parachute probes. Not a bad year for those guys.

Sam

Scott Bennett
06-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Nice action shot....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3331/3643946407_854d30cb1b.jpg

Will Wilkens
06-27-2009, 03:06 PM
I came across TIV2 several times on June 14 during the Ulysses/Sublette, KS storm, and again on June 15 during the Kinsley, KS storm. Here are a couple of shots from the June 14 encounter:

http://www.swseverewx.org/gallery/tiv2-1a.jpg

http://www.swseverewx.org/gallery/tiv2-2a.jpg

Josh Richardson
06-27-2009, 03:15 PM

Bill Hark

Not sure if they were out on the Aurora storm(6/17) but I did see them on the 6/18 bust and then again on the 21st....so Im sure they were somewhere out there on the 17th.

Scott Bennett
06-27-2009, 04:59 PM
The picture I posted of the TIV was on 6/17 in far SE Nebraska NE Kansas, I gave up my chase less than a hour later and headed for Wood River. They would have really had to been hauling to make it there in time.

Craig McPeck
06-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Boy ill say! I wonder what max speed the TIV has!

Ryan Wichman
06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I was following the TIV for a few miles just west of Greensburg on June 15th and I can testify that the TIV can really make good time. I won't give specifics as to how much we were going over the speed limit but I was struggling to keep up. Really didn't think the TIV had that much of an engine under the hood/armor/tank skin/whatever.

Steve Worthington
06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
From what I remember it`s a "Power Stroke" and those will get it on and I`m not a ford fan but I guess a power stroke really isnt a Ford..lol

Marcus Hicks
06-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Boy ill say! I wonder what max speed the TIV has!

Don't know what the max is but we caught it in Waterloo Ia, on 6/21 and I was pushing 90 to keep up.. Met up with them in Vinton and help them push it a few feet to the fuel pump. Man they cut it close.

Brian Hurst
06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
I think Caseys should sponser the TIV next year since Shawn Casey owns it.I know I would need a sponser for how much diesel that think burns.Paint it red and make it look like a giant red nascar tank.Maybe hand out free Casey's donuts at the chaser convergence before the show. Wikipedia say's it's 6.7 cummings 625 HP,propane and water injection top speed over 100 mph.

Stephen Barabas
07-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I heard on facebook that Sean caught a lucky break. Supposed he didn't have many. . .if any break downs of his TIVs until about 50 miles out from getting back home, and was still able to make it home. He lost a rear tire and his differentials. Now that's lucky. It's better to break down when you're all done with your chase season than to break down during the major events, as he well knows.