Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WeatherScope

Default WeatherScope

For those that don't know about it I would like pass a little info on the WeatherScope software developed by the Oklahoma Climatological Survey.

There is a lot you can do with this software:
    1.) Plots (OK mesonet and NOAA/NWS)
    2.) Color Filled Gradiants (temps, dews, and more.
    3.) Isopleths
    4.) Multiple Radar site at once.
    5.) Export to jpeg and quicktime movie.

and much more

Check it out.

Mick
    Last edited by Mickey Ptak; 01-31-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Stormtrack supporter

I highly recommend this software! It no doubt has its quarks but the ability to overlay as many radar sites as you want is the big seller for me. It really affords you the 'big picture'.
    -\Andrew\Herron\W8FI\-

Is the software free?
    Michael Carlson
    Website - www.michaelcarlsonphoto.com

It also may be the only Mac radar software capable of displaying storm attributes.

This program is great. Still, I'd be willing to pay north of $250 bucks for a Mac port of GR3. However, since GR3 is based on DX9, rather than OpenGL, the probability of that happening is slim to none (with the exception of future developments in Cider/Wine).

One thing I wish they had in this program is the option to display storm attributes as the topmost layer while keeping the radar layer below the state/county lines. Normally, when you mouse over a meso/hail marker, the information displayed on the individual storm becomes obscured by state/county lines. The only option is to keep the radar as the top layer, but I'm not a fan of obscuring my location by doing so.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carlson View Post
    Is the software free?
    It is 100% Free!

Mick

Stormtrack supporter

Remember that you can set the transparency of the different layers. I do this with my radar images so it creates more of a proper mosaic. This would also work great in your instance so the county lines wouldn't stop you from seeing storm attributes.
    -\Andrew\Herron\W8FI\-

Default Scripts

Could someone post some interesting scripts to go with this.

I started using this software a bit ago, it works quite well and there is probably a million different maps you can make to show whatever you wish. One thing about the program that I'm having a problem with is that it seems to bog down fairly quickly when you start doing things. Anybody else have this problem?
    Jayson Prentice -- Iowa State Meteorology '09 -- KC0TQO
    NEW Storm Chasing Website: Severe Plains
    NEW Severe Plains Blog
    & Jayson Prentice Photography

Tom -

You can download lots of additional data sources that do not come bundled with the software from http://sdg.mesonet.org/weathersoft/datasets/

The files you need are in the /info/ subdirectory under each item on that webpage. To allow use on your own computer:

1. Create a directory in My Documents/Weather/WeatherScopeData with the same name as the one listed on the above site (for example, to access satellite images in WeatherScope I have a directory--> C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\Weather\WeatherScope Data\edu.ucar.rap)
    2. Create a subdirectory /data and /info in the newly created directory.
    3. Place all the contents of the /info directory on the OCS server into your newly created /info directory.
    4. Start up WeatherScope and you should be able to access the new data set for plotting (satellite data is in "New Observation")

I put some simple .wxscript files up here --> arrc.ou.edu/~mmorris
    Michael Morris
    Wind Resource Analyst - First Wind, LLC
    Newton, MA
    http://soonerinboston.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P. Morris View Post
    Tom -

You can download lots of additional data sources that do not come bundled with the software from http://sdg.mesonet.org/weathersoft/datasets/

The files you need are in the /info/ subdirectory under each item on that webpage. To allow use on your own computer:

1. Create a directory in My Documents/Weather/WeatherScopeData with the same name as the one listed on the above site (for example, to access satellite images in WeatherScope I have a directory--> C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\Weather\WeatherScope Data\edu.ucar.rap)
    2. Create a subdirectory /data and /info in the newly created directory.
    3. Place all the contents of the /info directory on the OCS server into your newly created /info directory.
    4. Start up WeatherScope and you should be able to access the new data set for plotting (satellite data is in "New Observation")

I put some simple .wxscript files up here --> arrc.ou.edu/~mmorris
    Could someone break down those data sets for us and tell us exactly what they are? I mean.....such as being satellite data, radar data, etc. I understand which ones are city place files, roads, etc. Just not the data. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast