Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Storm Structure

Joey Ketcham

Default Best Storm Structure

I was going through some of my chase pictures tonight and came across one from back in 2004, I chased this storm up in Nebraska I think it was in May and of all the photographs I have of storm structures this one is by far the best one. The striation on this thing was very impressive and I honestly do not remember the exact date of this one, I wish I did. I know it was in May, I know it was before May 29th, 2004.. I am thinking it was May 22nd.

So of all the pictures you got of storm structure only, not tornadoes, which one do you favor out of all of them and would consider it to be the best or among the best?

That's a real nice shot....

I think my all time favorite was this first one below. I have however been limited by not having a good wide angle lens so full storm structure shots are uncommon from me.

The best full structure was this year at a distance.

Kansas Horizons - Flickr
    Romans 10:9 - If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Mike Hollingshead

Guessing this should just be in the weather sections not bar and grill.

http://www.extremeinstability.com/wp/04-1400wp.jpg

04 was full of some crazy structure. I'd have to say that was the most unique structure I've ever seen during that point in its life. It was just a crazy inflow monster right then. The base out from that ragged part became this strangely smoothed form.

Couple others from that time.

It's most evident on the left side of the images. Almost like smoothed out drywall mud. All of it forming like that from intense inflow into the storm. Wish I had the GR images of that still, as I think it showed up very well as a large intense area of inflow even far from radars in ne NE west of Sioux City.

http://www.extremeinstability.com/04-5-28.htm

May 31, 2006 in eastern Colorado into western Kansas. Not a supercell but the dramatic appearance and colors were amazing to watch.

The sky is God's unpredictable work of art.
    My website | My blog

Mine would be a toss up. I would say that May 2007 supercell out by Hill City was pretty spectacular, but honestly the most vigorous explosive development I have ever seen was out by Thedford NE way back in June 1999. I have not seen such well developed convective knuckles, gear motions, and a full fledged tornado as I saw that day with Jeff. This was during the early days of the DOW. This was 6500 CAPEs....50 kts plus of deep layer shear, and one awesome boundary. It was thermonuclear !!
    Brian Stertz
    Vortex Times
    Overland Park KS

As far as storm structure probably these are my favourite ones: the first one was taken on may 13th 2005 near Cromwell,tx and the next one on may 23th 2007 not far from Canadian,Tx (mods,wouldn't it be better to move this thread in weather and chasing?)

It's hard to pick just one but June 2, 2005 Limon, CO had some amazing structure. A close second would be May 22, 2007 Hill City, KS

Here's June 2:

Well I've seen some crazy storm structure since I have began storm chasing, but one that was just ridiculous was the Greensburg storm.

I know the last one has a picture of a tornado, but the structure above it is just incredible.

Some other notables storms I have intercepted with awesome structure include the May 29, 2008 Tipton, KS mothership, April 24, 2007 the Nickerson, KS awesome LP supercell, and the March 30, 2008 Rocky, OK supercell

From 2007 (and when I didn't know what I was doing with my camera):

Last edited by Brian Emfinger; 11-23-2008 at 01:58 PM.
    Brian Emfinger
    RealClearWx.Com
    TVN

My most recent one. Pretty cool I guess. I have a couple others that I will post if I can find them.

Approaching tornado warned supercell on 9/22/06 - Unfortunately for me the storms to the south choked off this storm

Love this shot. I did a time lapse through stills of developing severe thunderstorms near my house. All the pics from this experience are here.
    Last edited by DNeal; 11-23-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast