Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1991-04-26: Andover, Kansas F5 tornado

This storm is the reason i became interested in meteorology. At the time i lived 3 miles due east of Mcconnell air force base. I was able to view the tornado throughout much of its lifetime. I watched it as it tracked northeast missing my house by about 2 miles. I have about 30 pictures i took from that day, they can be viewed here.http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/a...ver%20Tornado/

A couple of things about the Andover tornado, as there's not much written about its impact in between McConnell AFB and Andover. There were a couple of areas impacted - one was the neighborhood known as Greenwich Heights, along Greenwich Road in between Pawnee and Harry streets. Another was a neighborhood known as Springdale, along 143rd street between U.S. 54 (Kellogg) and Harry Street. Some maps I have seen (like the one here: http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com...-outbreak-1991) erroneously show a straight line path between the AFB and Andover, so show it crossing 143rd street north of U.S. 54. In fact, it crossed 143rd steet SOUTH of U.S. 54. I know this because I grew up in Springdale and still had friends of family there at the time of the event and some houses were destroyed. I even visited there a few years later and you could clearly see the path because of the stunted trees. Anyway, it went on to completely destroy the church I attended as a kid, St. Vincent de Paul, located right across Andover Road from the Golden Spur mobile home park, which has long since been beautifully rebuilt. As a matter of fact, the town of Andover is now a very attractive, vibrant and fast-growing community.
    Mike Johnston

I remember being fascinated with the footage from McConnell AFB.
    You can listen to thunder after lightning and tell how close you came to getting hit. If you don't hear it, you got hit, so never mind.

Looking back through the data on this event, I discovered that this was the day which started my fascination with weather. I was living in Coffeyville, KS just east of where the Tornado hit in Montgomery County. I can remember the sirens going on and off every few minutes that evening pretty vividly to this day.

hi there...my name's megan and i have a request 4 u, do u by any chance have any pics/vids of the andover tornado or any from the april 26, 1991 tornado outbreak? if so, can u plz e-mail me or put them on here. i love that outbreak. it's my most favorite tornadoes of all time. thanx.

hello, my name's megan. I just have a question 4 u, do u have any pics/videos of any of the tornadoes from april 26, 1991? if so, can u plz e-mail me them so I may view them? my e-mail is: funnelcloudgirl@yahoo.com thanx

hey...my name's megan and I just want 2 ask a question. do u have any pics/videos of any of the tornadoes on april 26,1991? if so, can u plz e-mail me them so I may view them? thanx. here's my e-mail:funnelcloudgirl@yahoo.com

hey there...my name's megan. I just have a question 2 ask u, do u have any pics/videos of any of the tornadoes from april 26,1991? if so, can u plz e-mail them so I may view them? my e-mail is:funnelcloudgirl@yahoo.com. thanx

hey there...my name's megan and I just have a little question 4 u, do u have any pics/videos from any of the tornadoes from april 26, 1991? if so, can u plz e-mail me them so I may view them? thanx. here's my e-mail:funnelcloudgirl@yahoo.com

hi...my name's megan and I have a question 4 u, do u have any pics/videos from any of the tornadoes from april 26, 1991? if so, can u plz e-mail me them so I may view them? my e-mail is:funnelcloudgirl@yahoo.com. thanx

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast