Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 10-20mm or Canon 10-22mm?

Default Sigma 10-20mm or Canon 10-22mm?

I mentioned in a previous thread that I'm looking into getting a Canon EOS-40D to go along with my 10D or replace it. I can get a new one from Amazon.com. Now I need an opinion on the Sigma 10-20mm. I'm looking at getting the Canon 10-22mm. However, to save some money I've also looked at the Sigma 10-20mm to save a couple hundred bucks. Any opinon on this lens?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.facebook.com/Ohiosuprcell

Any specifics you are looking for? I've used it (Sigma) for a while without any complaints, but then again I am not, nor trying to be a professional photographer. If you're a casual photographer just looking to get some quality shots that you can proudly hang on your wall, I'd say you'll be more than happy with the Sigma. Though like anything else you get what you pay for, spend a little extra and get the Canon and you'll probably get a slightly better lens, but again your photography skills have to be solid enough to take advantage of it. In conversing with pro photographers it seems the Canon does outperform the Sigma, you just have to decide what you're willing to spend and then get whatever lens fits the budget. In my case the Sigma more than met my needs and was worth the savings...

I'm looking to use it for general photography along with my storm chasing of course.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -
    -- Thomas Jefferson

The various conversations regarding the comparative merits of these two lenses is pretty well summed up here.

You asked for a comparison between two lenses, but I'd recommend you consider a third. I wish this lens was available in Pentax mount (and considering it was designed in cooperation with Pentax, it is beyond me why it isn't - but I digress).

IMHO, the lower light ability is a huge factor - particularly for storm photography. The Tokina gives you a full stop (twice the amount of light hitting the sensor) than the Sigma wide open. Stop it down to f/4 to match the Sigma and you are going to have a better image because a lens is always going to perform better at less-than-wide-open. Read the Reader Reviews at Amazon on the Tokina.

I don't know any Canon owner that has regretted getting the 10-22mm, but if you're looking to save a few bucks, I'd personally do it with the Tokina f2.8 over the Sigma f4.0.
    Gone digital? I'm always in the market for older Pentax film cameras and the lenses that fit them (K-mount or M42 screwmount). What have you?

You will not be disappointed by the Canon EF-S 10-22 mm. That is pretty much a guarantee. When I bought mine it was barely $100 more than the Sigma 10-20 mm, which made the decision a no-brainer -- though that may have changed in the interim.

It's hard to pinpoint, but there's something about the colors that come from Sigma lenses that's just a bit "off," in my experience. The color rendition of my 10-22 on storm images, particularly in good "magic hour" lighting, still stuns me after two years or use -- especially after having become accustomed to the relatively ugly colors from the Sigma 17-70 I had used before.

I, too, am a big fan of the 10-22. However, most likely either will make you happy -- you can take very good pictures with both of them. The Sigma lens, oddly enough, feels better built than the Canon lens, though I still prefer the Canon.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I might actually get the Sigma. I'd like to get the Canon, but to save some money I think I'll get the Sigma so it will work with my EOS-10D until I have the money to get a 50D.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

I have the Sigma and thus far have not had any problems with color casts or anything like that. Feel free to click the link in my sig to see the shots I've taken with the lens.

EDIT: I did it for the same reason, price. I got the lens last spring so my thought was I'd save about $250 for gas money
    Follow Me On: Facebook/ Flickr/ deviantART/ Blog/ Twitter/ Zenfolio
    ~Photography and Storm Chasing from the Great Plains~

When I bought my Rebel XT I just bought the body and then bought a Sigma 10-20mm. I'm no professional but I've been real pleased with the Sigma. Haven't seen or handled the Canon. If you want to see some close lightning shot with it... post number 16 on this page, about 5 photos:

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/show...t=21339&page=2

Josh

I actualy have a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens on my 30D, takes some very nice pics, and runs at 600 bucks, if you are interested in another option

here are a couple photos taken with the lens:
    Shelf cloud overhead

And some mammatus:
    On Twitter : My flickr : Blog
    Back Yard Storm Chaser LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast