Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: 2011-05-22 Joplin, MO tornado thread

2 days after Joplin(May 24) Piedmont, OK got hit by an F5....That might be what you saw. The Joplin storm fired up much closer to the OK, KS, MO border.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Parsons View Post
    2 days after Joplin(May 24) Piedmont, OK got hit by an F5....That might be what you saw. The Joplin storm fired up much closer to the OK, KS, MO border.
    Potentially. I just remember hearing that what I saw and what hit Joplin was around the same time. The areas I saw damage in were Dibble and Newcastle, OK. There was a house in Dibble that had most of its roof torn off and a fair number of walls that had been stripped of nearly everything but the frame, and debris lined the highway through Newcastle for miles.

That was probably the result of the Goldsby and Chickasha EF4s, which passed near Dibble and Newcastle respectively. They actually both produced damage that was nearly (and, in the opinion of many, should have been) EF5 at some points along their paths. But more on topic, I don't think I've ever seen such widespread urban/suburban destruction than in Joplin. It wasn't even so much the degree of damage -- which was obviously extremely significant in itself -- but just the scale and density of destruction was staggering. Although they're obviously so different for many reasons that a comparison can't even be made, I think this lends some perspective: the Tri-State tornado is estimated to have destroyed somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 homes along its 219 mile path. The Joplin tornado destroyed around 7,000 homes, most of them within about six miles.
    Significant tornado events and other assorted meteorological ramblings:
    http://stormstalker.wordpress.com

If your curious to see the actual tornadoes that caused the damage you saw.... The First is the one that went near Newcastle, before it got to Newcastle. And the second was taken near Dibble. As stated though, this wasn't the same day as the Joplin tornado.

Thank you Josh and loco for the information and the photos. As for the statistics provided by loco...wow. Just wow. I wouldn't necessarily call it a fair comparison (mostly because the Tri-State tornado didn't really pass through larger towns and the Joplin tornado ripped through the core of a decently sized city) but it definitely helps to put things into some perspective.

Thought some of you would find this interesting. Civil engineer finally released their study of the Joplin tornado damage. Most of the damage was actually caused by EF-2 level wind speeds, some EF-3 speeds and a little EF-4 but no EF-5 damage to speak of. Most of the damage was caused because apparently a lot of our homes weren't even bolted to the foundation and even those that were had poorly connected roofs.
    http://www.joplinglobe.com/tornadoma...tornado-damage

The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has just released its draft report on Joplin:

http://www.nist.gov/el/disasterstudi...lin-112113.cfm

http://www.nist.gov/customcf/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=914787 (link to PDF file of actual report)

It's more than 400 pages long but contains info on just about every aspect of the disaster -- the warning process, structural damage, cause/locations of deaths and injuries, etc.

NIST will accept public comment on the report through Jan. 6, after which they will release a final version. Although NIST is not a rulemaking agency, its recommendations often find their way into state and federal regulations, safety and building codes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Schuman View Post
    Hey guys, I just got done writing a blog post about the Joplin tornado and I'd love some feedback on it. Between family issues and researching it took a loooong time to finish, so to be honest I didn't even proofread it. I'm sure there are mistakes, so if anyone reads it please feel free to let me know if I messed something up.

http://stormstalker.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/joplin/
    Shawn,

I liked your article, and the pictures are excellent. But there is one mistake I saw. Your article says the sirens in Joplin sounded for the second time at 5:31 PM. But according to Mike Smith's "When the Sirens Were Silent" it was 5:38 PM when the sirens sounded for the second time. At 5:38 the tornado had been on the ground for four minutes and it was already doing EF-4 damage. It was three minutes later at 5:41 that the tornado crossed into the Joplin city limits. So when those sirens sounded that second time, the residents of south Joplin had roughly 3 to 6 minutes to find shelter. The timing of the second siren alert was very likely a factor in the number of deaths and injuries that occurred.

The video below from KSNF-TV Joplin confirms that the tornado was on the ground doing damage when the sirens sounded the second time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDOLjlzQYSs

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McWatters View Post
    Shawn,

I liked your article, and the pictures are excellent. But there is one mistake I saw. Your article says the sirens in Joplin sounded for the second time at 5:31 PM. But according to Mike Smith's "When the Sirens Were Silent" it was 5:38 PM when the sirens sounded for the second time. At 5:38 the tornado had been on the ground for four minutes and it was already doing EF-4 damage. It was three minutes later at 5:41 that the tornado crossed into the Joplin city limits. So when those sirens sounded that second time, the residents of south Joplin had roughly 3 to 6 minutes to find shelter. The timing of the second siren alert was very likely a factor in the number of deaths and injuries that occurred.

The video below from KSNF-TV Joplin confirms that the tornado was on the ground doing damage when the sirens sounded the second time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDOLjlzQYSs
    Thank you Brian. That was one detail I wasn't sure on at the time, because I'd seen both 5:31 and 5:38 as the time when the sirens were activated a second time. Most sources, both newspapers and official documents, stated that it was 5:31 when the second sirens sounded. After doing some more digging I began to suspect that the 5:31 figure was either mistaken or deliberately manipulated. A member of another forum who was in Joplin when the tornado struck also mentioned that he thought the siren had sounded several minutes later, and that video would seem to confirm those suspicions. I haven't read Mike's book, but I may pick up a copy at some point.

Anyhow, I have another mistake in that article that needs to be corrected, so I'll update that portion as well.
    Significant tornado events and other assorted meteorological ramblings:
    http://stormstalker.wordpress.com

The second siren activation was from 5:38 to 5:41pm. That is confirmed from multiple sources and videos.

Jeff Piotrowski's plea to activate the sirens at 5:36pm was the reason the sirens were activated two minutes later.

There was no siren activation at 5:31pm.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435