Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May I see your storm chaser license?

Stormtrack supporter Shawn Gossman's Avatar

Default May I see your storm chaser license?

Hey all,

So in regards to chasers doing foolish things such as blocking the roadway and making it difficult for emergency services to respond, newbie chasers doing all the wrong things, people going out chasing to capture a tornado on their iPhone to get on TWC but not knowing anything about doing it safely and so on and so on... do you all think that a storm chasing license is needed? In most states, you have to have a license to be a clown, yes that is correct however, anyone could dress up and act like their a clown but the law states (in most areas) that you have to be licensed... the same could work for storm chasing and requiring a specific amount of training, re-certification and so on.

How do you all feel about this idea? Keep in mind that we were ALL new at one times... Thoughts?

I appreciate so much this idea, Shawn. I think this could be very positive for us and more fit to be seen by law enforcement when they stop us along roads.

As for my opinion, maybe a license is more difficult to do, but the best would be something like a Stormchasing Card under the sign of Stormtrack or what else we want.
    It would be good the hear the opinion of tim Vasquez or Tim Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Gossman View Post
    Hey all,

So in regards to chasers doing foolish things such as blocking the roadway and making it difficult for emergency services to respond, newbie chasers doing all the wrong things, people going out chasing to capture a tornado on their iPhone to get on TWC but not knowing anything about doing it safely and so on and so on... do you all think that a storm chasing license is needed? In most states, you have to have a license to be a clown, yes that is correct however, anyone could dress up and act like their a clown but the law states (in most areas) that you have to be licensed... the same could work for storm chasing and requiring a specific amount of training, re-certification and so on.

How do you all feel about this idea? Keep in mind that we were ALL new at one times... Thoughts?

Far more lives are put in danger and lost due to people that are crappy parents, but nobody needs a license to be one of those.

Too bad there is not a dislike option.
    TCookmedia.com
    "The invariable mark of wisdom, is to see the miraculous in the common"

Licensing Storm Chasers would greatly reduce the amount of potential eyes in the sky there for less reports = Shorter Warning Times = More lifes lost.
    Twitter- @WillTownsWx

Rather than requiring people to have a Storm Chasers license. Would not be easier to be able to write tickets to people for being stupid and rude . You would not have to be a storm chaser to be eligible for these tickets
    Last edited by Gordon Spencer; 08-29-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    WWW.MaximumSignal.Net
    The Best Reception Solutions at The Best Prices

This comes up every year, along with "how close is too close" and "looks like a ridge setting up - season's over".

Without granting some special privilege, there's no reason to have a license, unless you're looking for a meaningless way to increase your chaser "cred". Also, there's nothing illegal about driving around during bad weather with a camera.

Awful idea. This is America. Land of the Free. We already have way too many permits, licenses and other such nonsense paperwork in this nation.

Remember, every gawker with a camera phone gets lumped in with either the storm chaser community or the media. No exceptions. If we were all licensed, there'd be absolutely no more problems with those people, right?

Technically, I've already got my storm chaser's license. (Although around these parts, we just call it a driver's license.)

Although the idea of keeping the local police out of our business is fine; we just need to conduct ourselves in a way that keeps us out of their business - is all. Easier said than done.

But to have a license is to ask for regulation upon freedoms as well as yet one more reason to make you pay out more money.
    That alone carries a big 'no' with me . . .
    Last edited by Rob Wadsworth; 08-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    KI6USW/146.520-550mhz
    CB Ch.19/AM & Ch. 38/LSB Handle: "World Radio One-One"
    You don't know what will happen tomorrow. What is life? You are a mist that is seen for a moment and then disappears. -James 4:14

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast