• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

HOW TO HELP RIGHT NOW

Visitors are flooding Stormtrack and many chaser websites. Many people probably would like to help and don't know how. I've listed the donation pages for the Red Cross and Salvation Army on my personal blog. There is no question that this is the largest, most incredible and expensive relief effort in US history. President Bush just urged all Americans to donate to the following organizations. Here they are:

Salvation Army Donation Page or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY

American Red Cross or call 1-800-HELP-NOW

If others know donation sites or numbers for reliable organizations, perhaps they can post them to this thread.

Salvation Army

American Red Cross

I want to make another pitch for these organizations. If you can donate $5, it will help a lot and it's as easy as ordering a book on Amazon. Easier, in fact.

We're looking at both the largest natural disaster in US history and the most acute refugee crisis. You can almost think of them as separate, monstrously unmanageable problems. What they have in common is that both will cost a tremendous amount of money.

The Red Cross and Salvation Army have incredible volunteers who are trained and ready to respond to these situations. They will probably bring volunteers from the entire nation to take up missions around the Gulf Coast, and their procedures and experience will save lives and alleviate suffering. We're very lucky in this great country to have well-oiled relief machines like these.

What these machines require to run is money. We're also very lucky that we can help so much by doing nothing more than clicking a few links, entering some information, and donating money electronically. That simple act will translate into targeted and efficient relief for people in desperate and terrifying situations.

You can make donations in someone's name, as a sort of gift, or in memory of people. I made a donation last night in the name of my parents, who lived in Slidell for many years. My parents have since passed away, but my father enjoyed his neighborhood friends who helped make his retirement more satisfying. My Mom worked downtown in the New Orleans VA hospital and loved the people of New Orleans and their traditions, their humor, and their fierce loyalty to one of the world's greatest cities. I came to know many of my mother’s co-workers and you could not help but feel affection for people who loved life as they do.

Whatever reasons you can find to help, they need it.

online donations may be easiest

I tried to donate the Red Cross' 1-800 number earlier this afternoon and couldn't get through. I hope this means the RC is flooded with phone donations. So, I went to redcross.org. The online transaction at redcross.org was quick and easy. So, online donations seem the best way to go here.

Jay Antle

If you are in the Houston area- numerous radio and TV stations are having telethons or collecting items for those in need from Katrina and staying here in Houston. They each have their contact info, just tune in and send in!

If you are able, call the Red Cross locally and offer to volunteer at the Astrodome!

My father contacted the Red Cross today and is offering to take in a family who is in need of a place to stay.
The Red Cross is willing to help the victims by relocating some to any place that will take them and will match a family with children with my parents.
They aren't rich but they do have two extra bedrooms that aren't being used and is offering them.

Thanks Amos, for posting an easy way for those of us who would like to help via donations. Well done, sir.
May I also suggest that donations would be also be greatly appreciated at The Humane Society. As you can imagine, there are also displaced pets and farm animals that are in agony from this disaster too. The Humane Society has a great deal of hurricane / animal rescue experience...and it is incredible at how well-organized and quickly they mobilize at ground zero with an armada of equipment and personnel. I never realized it myself until I read about how they respond to post-hurricane events on their homepage yesterday. They are a well-oiled machine. Your donations will definitely not be wasted.

My dad's camping/outdoor goods website, GnawBone Knob ( http://www.gnawboneknob.com ) is donating 100% of the profits in September to the Red Cross, so if you've been in the market for camping, hiking, fishing or other outdoor gear, now is a great time to get it and help the Katrina relief efforts at the same time.

BC

My company has stated that they will match all employee contributions made to the Red Cross. Are there any other companies out there doing this?

I know that Nucor Steel is doing the same thing. They are matching dollar for dollar all donations given by employees.

Originally posted by Anthony Petito
My company has stated that they will match all employee contributions made to the Red Cross. Are there any other companies out there doing this?

From WWLTV.com

8:53 A.M. - (AP): Companies move to give millions in relief.

WHAT'S BEING OFFERED

-- Companies are donating money and goods for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.
-- American Red Cross says at least 30 companies had made donations by Wednesday morning.
-- The number is expected to climb.
-- U.S. Chamber of Commerce says initial corporate donations could total more than $100 million.

SOME MONETARY DONATIONS

-- Chevron: $5 million.
-- JPMorgan Chase: $3 million.
-- Citigroup: $3 million.
-- Walt Disney Co.: $2.5 million.
-- Pfizer: $2 million.
-- Abbott Laboratories: $2 million.
-- State Farm: $1 million.
-- EDS: Will match employee contributions up to $1 million.

HEALTH CARE DONATIONS

-- Eli Lilly: 40,000 vials of refrigerated insulin.
-- Wyeth: antibiotics and nonprescription pain relievers.
-- Merck: antibiotics and hepatitis A vaccines.
-- Johnson & Johnson: Pain relievers, wound care supplies and kits containing toothbrushes, soap and shampoo.
-- Abbott Laboratories: At least $2 million in nutritional and medical products.

SOME OTHER DONATIONS

-- Nissan: 50 trucks for Mississippi Emergency Management Agency.
-- General Motors: 25 cars and trucks to the Red Cross.
-- Sprint Nextel: 3,000 walkie talkie-type phones for emergency personnel.
-- Qwest Communications: 2,000 long-distance calling cards.
-- Kellogg: Seven truckloads of crackers and cookies.
-- Culligan International: Five truckloads of water.
-- Anheuser-Busch: more than 825,000 cans of water.
-- Office Depot: Contents of its five New Orleans stores, valued at $4 million.
http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG...OG.ac3fcea.html

Heart To Heart in Kansas City is looking for volunteers. I didn't get to hear details but I assume they may need manpower in the area to help with the rescue/recovery process.

I hate to make light of anybody’s effort to help, but come on “Office Depot: Contents of its five New Orleans stores, valued at $4 million.â€￾ Do they really think anything is left? Of are they just looking for a tax write off? What a joke!

I work for NPC International, which is the largest Pizza Hut franchise, and we had over 100 Pizza Hut stores in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama that were hit by Katrinia.

Some stores have opened back up after power was restored, I think we have 60+ stores still that are closed either because they're flooded, have been damage, or in some cases we have Pizza Hut stores that aren't even there no more. I just saw pictures today of a location where one of our pizza huts use to sit, they literally cannot find the building.. it's completely gone!

Anyways, you can imagine the hundreds of Pizza Hut/NPC employee's who have been affected by the hurricane, NPC donated $50,000 and plus donations are still coming in. We even have our vendors that is donating as well!

It's fantastic to see companies come together during times like this to help in such a great way like this!

I created a button using a satellite image from Katrina prior to landfall. I created it for my website as a way to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina. Feel free to use this button and code on your web sites, blogs, or whatever.

katrina_button.jpg

http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate2/
http://www.redcross.org

Please download it and run it from your site as I have limited bandwidth to use monthly.

(g/f) Floss and I are joining the Red Cross. If anyone else is doing this, here's some info about what to expect (but by no means is this comprehensive):

We must get some simple physicals. We are attending two classes, one in CPR, First Aid, and AED (defribulator use), and one for orientation. That process is taking about a week. We will be getting shots for tetanus and others.

We are told that we cannot leave for up to two weeks, but will probably be going to the Coast. We are told to expect Third World conditions (basically), and that we may be living in a bus.

Our shifts will be 8 hour (or so) shifts, mostly during business hours. Deployments are 3-week deployments, after which most people "take a break", but that that is not written in stone. They want to know of your special skills, and will make use of them. e.g. If you have damage assessment or medical training, or can drive an 18-wheeler, that's what you will be doing.

Couples can be deployed together, but that may delay deployment for a couple days or so, yet they seriously encourage couples to stay together for each other's support.

Many volunteers will be utilized for on-site shelter support and logistics support, but there are other needs as well. Shelters will be all over the country, but more closer to the Coast, of course.

Bob

Oh, also, I'm hoping that we can take pics and post the pics and some tales of our experiences on here as we do this.

Bob, it's great that you're joining the Red Cross! Bless your heart.

I've had to do some research on this for work this morning --
in addition to inquiring directly with a Red Cross chapter that is hosting a shelter in your area, anyone interested in offering housing to evacuees can post on www.hurricanehousing.org and www.craigslist.com.

In addition, according to posts on craigslist, FEMA is taking information on housing offers -- the Texas office is handling Louisiana -- 940-898-5399 -- and the Georgia office is handling Alabama, Mississippi & Florida -- 770-220-5200.

(g/f) Floss and I are joining the Red Cross. If anyone else is doing this, here's some info about what to expect (but by no means is this comprehensive):

Bob, this is an amazing thing you're doing. Thank you to you and Floss and best wishes on your travels.

An international relief organization based in St. Louis (Service International) will be taking a team of volunteers down there Oct 14-23. I have gone on trips before with this group to do flood and tornado clean up and home rebuilding and I highly recommend them. They have done relief work in the US, Africa, Kosovo, and Sri Lanka. Since the people they take are volunteers they do have you pay for the travel cost of the trip but they keep it as inexpensive as possible. If you want more info about going on the trip you can contact them at [email protected].

For those who have had the ability to donate, I thought this would be of interest concerning the Red Cross activities thus far.

"5:30 P.M. - (AP): The American Red Cross said Saturday it had 361 shelters open and was caring for at least 96,180 hurricane victims in nine states. These figures do not include refugees still in New Orleans, or at hotels, motels or church or state shelters across the South. Texas Gov. Rick Perry said as many as 120,000 hurricane refugees were in 97 shelters in his state alone, with another 100,000 in Texas hotels and motels. Hundreds more were housed in churches or private homes.

American Red Cross shelters:

-- Louisiana: 127 shelters; 51,480 people

-- Mississippi: 102 shelters; 13,510 people

-- Texas: 49 shelters; 23,850 people

-- Alabama: 47 shelters; 3,760 people

-- Georgia: 17 shelters; 880 occupants

-- Tennessee: 9 shelters; 70 occupants

-- Florida: 8 shelters; 1,380 occupants

-- Arkansas: 1 shelter; 1,250 occupants

-- Missouri: 1 shelter; 0 occupants "

At our first aid class today (which lasted 6 hours instead of 3), we were told that the possible locations for deployment included Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Tennessee or Kentucky...or elsewhere.

Oklahoma would be cool, but we want to be wherever we are needed most.

And, thanks for the kind words, Miriam and Amos, but we all know that there are 200 million other Americans, and countless others across our borders who are just doing whatever they can in their own way.

Bob & Floss

Back