• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

**JEFF WEAR**

My prayers go out to the family of Jeff Wear. I too, never met him personally, although I remember reading his posts on this forum, including his final one about going after Dennis. I'm touched by the heartfelt reaction of the community to this tragic accident. He sounds like a man who lived his dream, and died doing it, and I can think of no better way to live or die. Open fields and beautiful storms enough to chase forever, Jeff!

Dan

I only met Jeff once at the Storm Chase Conference and I remember his infectious enthusiasm for storms. I've also enjoyed reading his posts and his website. This is a big shock and I am saddened by the loss to the chase community. My condolences to his family. Life is brief, precious and never should be taken for granted. I hope there are many beautiful storms for Jeff.

Bill Hark

Well,...this sucks! I never met Jeff, but there is something odd about chasing. Somehow when we go out and meet under the sky and the clouds, and look upon greater things than ourselves we becomes both mesmerized and excited about that which we behold. My experience is that those others in the field that we encounter (other chasers, spotters, locals) with similar passion who are also drawn upwards toward the sky often embrace those around them as friends. Oddly we all seem as long time friends under the sky. Even so, some of my current long time friends, I first met in this manner.

I guess what I am saying is that as chasers with a love and passion for chasing we are all friends just as we are on this forum. While I never met or knew Jeff, no doubt had we met we would have shared this love and understanding which while often never expressed or described runs deep. Certainly all good things in the universe are interconnected and intertwined, and with this loss we must all feel some part now missing.

Jeff, I bid you adieu. I hope you found the treasures in this life you searched for. Go in peace. May you find joy in the great beyond!

As for the rest of my friends...brothers and sisters of the chase. I wish you well and to prosper.

Though I didn't get to know Jeff while he was with us here on this great planet, losing one of our own hurts just the same. My thoughts and prayers to Jeff's family. Farewell Jeff, may you continue to chase the big storm in the sky...

Mike, KØSVR
www.iachaser.com

I am seriously saddened by this as well as the rest of you, but I am especially because I started PMing Jeff reguarding some things that were going on with the boards. He and I began talking over the messenger and seemed to have many things in common, so we were becoming pretty good friends and hoping to get together for a chase sometime.

Jeff was a great guy from what I know of and I am saddened that I was never able to meet him.

He was the very first member of the StormTrack Forums. Rest in Peace Jeff, I know you are in a better place on the other side of those glorious gates of Heaven. I bid you farewell. :cry:

Now that I've read every word of this thread, I remember Jeff's "The Birds" vid from Denver 2003. It was very funny.

I also never made the connection between him and those license plates, but, MAN!, it always seemed to me that he was EVERYWHERE!

Jeff Wear...the only one of us who will never again suffer from SDS.

Of course, my thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time of sadness.

Oh, I also "stole" his pic and posted it in my "site" (linked below)

To the parents and family of Jeff,

I’m sure there is nothing we can put into words that could possibly comfort you during this time of loss. As a parent myself, I can not comprehend any greater tragedy, than that which you have suffered. But perhaps you can find some peace in knowing that Jeff had touched so many people in a great way. In less than a day of learning of this tragedy, there are over one hundred messages, which have been read by over three thousand readers, posted to these pages. Both in life and memory, Jeff has reached out to a storm chasing community that spans across continents. Rest in peace.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you,

Kurt Silvey
Omaha, NE

I may have met Jeff briefly at one of the chaser conventions in Denver; I don't quite remenber, and doubt if he would have remembered me. My heart goes out to those that knew and loved him. I was reading through some of his posts, and was struck by one of Jeff's posts that talked about a favorite moment from 2004:
"Top of the list has to be on 6/12 the moment the second Mulvane tornado moved out of the shadows and into the sunlight."
And now you've done the same, Jeff. Fare you well. Peace to your family and friends.

Keep the faith
Sean

JEFF WEAR

MY CONDOLENCES TO JEFF'S FAMILY. I DIDN'T KNOW JEFF EITHER, BUT I DO REMEMBER SEEING HIM AT THE CONVENTION IN DENVER N LAUGHING AT HIS VID HE SHOWED. IT SADDENS ME TO HEAR OF THIS TRAGEDY, BUT I MUST AGREE HE DID LEAVE THIS WORLD DOING WHAT HE LOVED DOING. REST IN PEACE JEFF N GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY. MY PRAYERS N THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU ALL.

I checked my email at work and saw the post on WX-CHASE, that's how I first got the news. I immediately got that lump in my throat, the heavy heart feeling, that you can't explain. I didn't even know him. It is truly amazing how the internet has brought us all so close together as a community... and when one of our own has been taken away in such a way that Jeff was, it hits us all very hard. Jeff had an affect on me, as well as all of us who actively chase and share our passion and experiences on Stormtrack.

When I think of Jeff Wear I think of his sense of humor, alongside his passion for storms. His "birds" video was some of the funniest chase video I have ever seen. Just classic. My best to Jeff wherever he may be now... most certainly a place that brings him everlasting peace. He'll certainly be missed..

Mike U

Jeff Wear, In Peace

Like most of us on ST, I never had the pleasure of meeting Jeff. But this evening, I definitely felt the deepest sadness of having lost a distant friend from my home state--a man who through the thick of life (AND some amazing moments) more than held himself together with his wonderful sense of humor. A down-to-earth guy who always kept an eye on the "stormy" side of life--no matter what--he was the quintessential storm chaser.
My condolences go to the Wear Family, all our blessings and best wishes are with you!!
Jon Merage

I am saddend to hear the loss of a fellow stormchaser....This is a terrible tragedy. Though I did not know him personally, I can recall reading many enjoyable posts.

This is the worst nightmare to a storm chaser’s family and friends. Yet, I hope they can find peace he was doing something he enjoyed. Even though I did not know him too, I am sure his loss will be felt through the community. My deepest condolences...

Tragedies like this bring our mortality into stark relief and its a very terrifying feeling. It could have easily been any of us and that's what really scares me. Though I never met Jeff, his birds video and his humourous posts brought a smile to my face. He was a genuinely good man and a passionate chaser. I will keep Jeff and his family in my prayers.

God bless, Jeff.

Jeff

I don't know in personal Jeff but it's terrible to hear for such incident:(

My prayers go out to Jeff's family.

Angel

I vaguely remember Jeff from this year's chaser convention in Denver. I've enjoyed going back and reading some of his posts and perusing his website. He seemed to be a genuine guy who loved what he did and had a lot of fun doing it. My prayers are with his family.

I, too, never met Jeff, yet this news still came as a shock — something you never really expect, or would want to. My condolences to his family and friends, from a land of upside-down tornadoes.

I was holding off on putting a reply here becuase I personally didn't know Jeff. However, after reading through all 9 pages of this thread and the outpour of support from the community, I feel comfortable enough to post in this thread.

I wish to offer my deepest sympothies and condolences to Jeff's family and friends. He will be in all of our prayers.

I met Jeff at a couple conferences and enjoyed my conversations with him. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in the field. This is a sad day for the chase community and my sincerest condolences go out to his friends and family...

Wow, I just saw this today. Another tragic loss of a young and talented life. I never met Jeff, but we did communicate through email.

Jeff, may you always have blue skies ahead and a tailwind at your back.
Farewell, my prayers are with your family.

Jeff

I never met Jeff but he was a fellow chaser, may you rest in peace Jeff, my condolences to him and his family/friends. :(

Back