Reed Timmers new Dominator 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dread to think what speeds he was doing to get there, let alone the speed he was doing on that gravel road while filming out of the window at the same time. It's a beautiful tornado and would be great to watch it steadily pass by, rather than have screaming and shouting over the top.

Science or not science, you‘ve got to hand it to RT, I think that Kimball tornado is the fourth one this season RT has gotten himself in or super-close to…There was the mid-May one posted here (which I think was also in Nebraska), Loco OK, one other just a couple days after Loco that I can’t recall at the moment, and now Kimball. I’m not even counting the Missouri after-dark intercept also posted here. Say what you will about whether it’s “appropriate” to get that close - if you knew you could get that close, have that experience, *and* be safe, who among us would not jump at the opportunity?

The screaming is annoying though. In that Kimball situation, was it really necessary to keep saying things like “It’s right there!”, “There it is!”, “It’s still on the ground!” etc.???

Also strange that they ignored that other, more photogenic tornado that formed as the wedge was dissipating…

Science was never intended to be "neat" nor "organized."

Here is a scene from the great movie, The Right Stuff:
While fictionalized, it was all true. There were many who believed we should abandon the space program because it was "too dangerous" to put a man on one of our rockets (which "always blew up").

When a specific person has a history of what many would consider dangerous behavior, they need to be called out. It seems like every week some chasers need to be reminded that public roads are NOT closed courses for their enjoyment and profit making only.
a person has the constitutional right to chase how they want, especially using their own vehicle. that is what zero deductible comprehensive vehicle insurance is for. Reed is one of the best, and has taught me many things on how to get extreme video.

a person has the constitutional right to chase how they want,

I guess a very loose interpretation of Article 4 Section 2's opening sentence might suggest that, if they used the words, "chase tornadoes".

I think he is highlighting the method, not capability. Regardless of how extreme a single person wants to be or not, we have the "privilege" (with consequence) to be either, since it's not really a "right" to drive a car, it's a privilege, and it can be taken away. If everyone condones Mad Max on the road, or takes the position, "that's chasing, you're in or your out!", when the majority of modern chasers most likely don't "really" know what they are doing. RT has the luxury of years of experience and a formal background (let others debate the depth of formal), as many of us in here do.

There are a lot of chasers who got YouTube and RT "trained/influenced" and because they might have a spotter class under their belt and radar apps, quick catchy lingo learned by watching, not studying, who flock to conga lines and chaser hoards suddenly think they are among the "experts", and that's the moment when the risk of accidents and deaths go up.

what you choose to do with your car and life is yours, I don't think anyone in here wouldn't agree with that, just don't take anyone else with you, be safe, rules of the road apply, and in extreme circumstance to avoid injury, well...do what you need to do. However, there is compendium of video evidence of the stupid driving behaviors of chasers, and it goes well beyond RT (and he isn't stupid).

a person has the constitutional right to chase how they want, especially using their own vehicle. that is what zero deductible comprehensive vehicle insurance is for. Reed is one of the best, and has taught me many things on how to get extreme video.

Sorry, no. Roads and highways are not private entities, they belong to cities, states and the Federal Government. Legally, your license gives you the "privilege" of driving on the roads, with the requirements that you obey laws and drive responsibly. If you speed you get a ticket. If you drink and drive you get in a lot of trouble. Your license can be revoked at any time because it's a "privilege." There are also both criminal and civil laws that protect other drivers from idiots. If you run a stop sign while chasing (distracted driving), or park in the travel lanes to yell and scream, and someone is killed, you will be charged with manslaughter and face the relatives in civil court.

I think the majority of you do not understand the element of acceptable levels of risk. Reed as well as my self have very little aversion to risk, that 99.9% of the time the risk is irrelevant. Also I think a lot of people here are jealous of his success in video and video profits/ tv show. I attempt to get as close to the storm as he does, and I do not own an intercept vehicle, it's just a Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD diesel, with ZERO DEDUCTABLE comprehensive damage insurance on it. I am unafraid of 99.9999% of anything including things like the alleged covid-19, the alleged rise in measles cases and tb in Chicago, have not had a physical examination or any vaccination since 1988 since they are a waste of time and money, including refusal to comply with covid vaccination mandates, but have a certificate that I did.

Chase videos for profit, nope nothing wrong with it, it's now a saturated market and RT has pretty much cornered it since he's been around long enough, and good for him, he's gotten the timing of it right with societal interest and some of the science. Risk is individually assigned I think calculated vs. uncalculated is what's important to me. have I been inside the bears cage? several times, but I don't have a death wish either. everyone know's their own limits. but if someone with less risk, gets in the way of someone trying to get 100% risk, and pushes them off the road and road rage ensues, well, I think that's the problem, everyone has equal access, not just 99% risk averse trying to get into the funnel core. people shouldn't be driving 100mph to catch up to a warned cell they poorly positioned themselves on and expect everyone else to GTFO of the way.

I think the majority of you do not understand the element of acceptable levels of risk. Reed as well as my self have very little aversion to risk, that 99.9% of the time the risk is irrelevant. Also I think a lot of people here are jealous of his success in video and video profits/ tv show. I attempt to get as close to the storm as he does, and I do not own an intercept vehicle, it's just a Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD diesel, with ZERO DEDUCTABLE comprehensive damage insurance on it. I am unafraid of 99.9999% of anything including things like the alleged covid-19, the alleged rise in measles cases and tb in Chicago, have not had a physical examination or any vaccination since 1988 since they are a waste of time and money, including refusal to comply with covid vaccination mandates, but have a certificate that I did.
Brian i think the majority of people here understand 99.9% elements of risk. Most here are probably older, to much older than you, and have chased for as long and do have wisdom of risk aversion. We have seen many Chevy, Dodge, Ford, 1500-3500s doing things on the edge that we do not agree with or think is are quite risky. Many here have chased longer than Reed and admittedly dont have the means or ways that Reed has built in the hobby/business. There is no doubt that Reed is an experienced chaser and celebrity. But it has took several years for Reed to get there! I enjoy watching Reed chasing but also see things ( brought up many times) that i dont agree with. Things that heighten risk..driving..distraction..mistakes that only require 1 major slip-up to not only hurt you (the unafraid one)...but the ones that dont deserve the risk that others bring.

park in the travel lanes to yell and scream
I meant to reply on this earlier. Saw a chaser video from Michigan yesterday of someone doing that very same thing.. in fact, everyone was doing it!.. chasers and non-chasers alike sitting there in the middle of the road, waiting, not sure what to do, or trying to capture video, tunnel vision surpasses thinking and reasoning at times.

I had the make the decision years ago if I was going the "extreme" route or just be happy with who I am, a simple photographer who loves adventure, science and travel. There was more and more pressure from production companies for me to do the same stupid and risky things that were becoming popular. Buy why? There will always be someone else waiting in the wings to up the game, forcing me to do even stupider things. I also value my credibility, something some of the stunt performers have completely lost in professional circles.

I have no problem with those who choose to preform high risk chasing stunts for publicity, except when they put others at risk. Steve Irwin is the best modern example. They all know the great risks they are taking, just like bull fighters and circus high wire performers. If they are willing to take the risks to put on a good show, they they deserve the attention and success they receive.

i'm not sure the consitution gives you the right to break speed limits, drive on the wrong side of the road, or anything like that. This is what people are talking about.

It seems like many have issues with how Reed has gotten where he is in life, and he got there from storm chasing. He is a role model, and is very successful at it. No one can deny his success.

"Role Model" is probably not the most accurate term, it's kind of nuanced and variable. Raise my kid role model? probably not, because most of his followers do not really know him on a personal level, his personal ethics or morals. I think he fits into the category of influencing the love of severe weather and chasing-type role model. He certainly influences a lot of people (there may be questions to the degree of positive or negative influence based on his methods), but I think a lot of that will be left up to the individuals themselves. Do they carbon copy themselves? or just modify their interests and decide, I'm gonna be a meteorologist! that's a positive thing, and if someone decides to pursue being a scientist by watching him, I think it would be safe to say, positive influence, but you're not modeling.

There are a few things he does that I think are stupid like stopping in the middle of the road, and unless he has added emergency type lighting to his vehicle, blowing thru stop lights at speed, but other than that he is the most successful chaser as well as with his videos and sales.

@Brian R. - Nothing wrong with getting extreme video like Reed if you're willing to take the risks (and not endanger others around you), but I think expecting to become as popular and well know by emulating him is foolish. His brand was built, in part, by luck, skill, persistence, and cultivating a social media presence over a long time, and I think he has the market cornered in most aspects. Even if you could get all the most extreme and exciting video, you're competing for views with someone who has a well established fan base. There are a bunch of awesome chasers who make excellent videos, some extreme/some informative, that have their own smaller following, and they still don't have the strength of brand. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're chasing to attain a level of notoriety similar to Reed. Go out there and enjoy the chase, enjoy the storms... if you reach some level of fame/wealth along the way, take that as a bonus. If you're chasing to make a living out of it, I wish you the best of luck, because you're gonna need it, lol.

As far as the Dominators, I would personally rather have something purpose built from the frame up like the TIV2 if I was trying to make zero meter intercepts. I know it's all a calculated risk, but it's still a roll of the dice regardless of the vehicle.... that's gotta be one hell of an adrenaline rush though. One large piece of debris and it's a wrap.

This is supposed to be a thread about Reed Timmer’s Dominator. He’s spent more money on his vehicles than most us us either would be willing to spend or couldn’t afford. Those vehicles are also part of his brand.
As for Reed, a lot of us have talked to him and think he’s a very nice guy. You can think he’s a nice guy and still not approve of the live streaming of blowing through stop signs and stuff.

Good point on the vehicle Todd, gonna have to start looking at purchasing an MRAP at govt sales auction, Chopping and shaving it to drop a couple tons and then give it a name.

I think this thread has run its course as it now appears to be delving into squabbling over some petty details. The thread will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back